Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

You Can also Receive Free Email Updates:

Powered By NBT

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

You Can also Receive Free Email Updates:

Powered By NBT

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

You Can also Receive Free Email Updates:

Powered By NBT

Muttayappam / Mutta Pathiri




                     
             Pancakes of Kerala.. Thats Muttapathiri.. I dont have any idea what people in kerala call these appam. Some say its Muttayappam also but am not sure.. Me and my family call this as Oattada. This a very delicious food when coconut milk is combined with it. And I said before, I like no curry with this. Sugar alone with coconut milk will make my taste buds happy.. Trust me. You also should try this and you wont deny it.

                  I always remember the first time I prepared this after I got married. I really got mad with anger that day. I was not having any idea about the tips that has to taken. Had no patience and my Oattada got stuck on my thava and also got burnt. I got insane and gave a cry.. But next time I tried, I took guidance from my Mom and got them much better. And nowadays it is more better. Whenever I prepare I always gets scared for the fear of ending up like my first disaster.
                Usually this is made with All Purpose flour alone without adding rice flour. But this recipe I follow gives almost the same flavor and is healthier than former.


Ingredients :
  1. All purpose flour : 1 cup
  2. Rice flour : 1 cup
  3. Eggs : 1
  4. Salt : to taste
  5. Water : As required
  6. Milk / Coconut Milk : 2-3 tbsp (optional)


Method :
  1. Place the Oattada thava (as shown in below pic) onto the stove top. And keep the flame to high so that the thava gets heated.

  2. Oattada Thava. It is made of Clay. (Thats my 1 year old girl's hands. She was not taking her hands off. So I clicked it that way!)


  3. Bring water to boil. Pour this on to the rice flour which is taken in a bowl.
  4. When all the lumps are removed , add all purpose flour to this. Add beaten eggs and salt to this. Add cold water if required to make  medium-thick consistent batter like that of Dosa
  5. Now before pouring this onto the thava keep the flame low . 
  6. Pour one ladle full of batter onto this. Do not flatten it with the ladle as we do usually for dosa. When you see bubbles or holes coming out , wait until most part of it fills with holes and then cover it with a see-through lid.
  7. When the appam is fully filled with holes and it looks cooked, take out from the thava. No need to flip them like american pancakes.
  8. Serve with coconut milk and chicken or egg curry.
Notes :
  • You can increase the flame to medium-low if you feel the thava has lost its heat. Or if you feel the holes coming out is decreased, then you should understand that the flame has to be increased. However, keep the flame always below medium.  ie, adjust flame from very low to medium. Make sure the appam dont get burnt in the bottom.
  • While taking them out from thava, try to first release them from the edges. Be careful not to get sticked on to it.

      by Nilofer Ajmal
      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...