Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

You Can also Receive Free Email Updates:

Powered By NBT

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

You Can also Receive Free Email Updates:

Powered By NBT

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

You Can also Receive Free Email Updates:

Powered By NBT

Creamy Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Kheer



                    This creamy Payasam or Kheer is the easiest one and one that a beginner should definitely start with. I am a crazy lover of all Payasams. But was very much scared to give it a start. It was then that my husband came one day asking me to prepare it. I shrugged off saying, "Oh! I don't know" . He said let me try and started off . My husband had never put his hands on my cookwares as he knew nothing much about cooking. But I thought, 'OK. whatsoever, anyway I am gonna get a free treat today ;) ' and waited outside eagerly. After sometime I heard him quickening his footsteps, hustling and bustling. I knew something was fishy and peeked into my kitchen. Ah, I was right ! My kitchen had become quite a mess, with my stove top fully scattered with all the vermicelli. I could see him giving an embarrassed look and saying, "I think I need more vermicelli, or I think I need more milk, actually I am not sure where I went wrong.." I helplessly started out laughing. Instead of using half a cup of broken vermicelli, he had used almost full packet of it and he was adding more and more milk. Also in order to cut off the work, he had broken the vermicelli directly from the packet onto my wok. Halved from the center! And everything jumped here and there and thats why all my floor and cabinet-top just got 'beautiful' with vermicelli. That was the last time I gave him permission for his experiments
                   After our first failure, I went into my recipe book, of course the Google, and I never knew it was so easy. I normally dont like every Semiya Payasam, but I like mine. (Am I boasting?) Its because I make it more creamier than usual. Try my version!?

Ingredients (Serves 2):

  1. Broken Vermicelli :  1/2-3/4 cup
  2. Milk : 3 cups (See note)
  3. Sugar : 1/2 cup, as per taste
  4. Water : 1/2 cup
  5. Cardamom powder : 1/4 tsp (optional)
  6. Cashew nuts and raisins : a few
  7. Ghee : 2 tbsp

Method:

  1. Roast cashews and raisins in the ghee. Keep them aside. In same ghee roast broken vermicelli until they change into golden brown slightly
  2. In another large wok, pour water and the vermicelli and let it cook for sometime.
  3. When it turns soft add milk into this and simmer in low flame. 
  4. Add sugar and cardamom powder . Cook the payasam until it is reduced to 2 or 21/2 cups such that it gives a slightly thick and creamy texture. Reducing the milk will give the effect of adding condensed milk
  5. Remove from flame after garnishing with cashews and raisins

Note:

  • In this recipe, 3 cups milk is used for serving 2 persons. The payasam in the end will be reduced to almost 2 or 21/2 cups
  • There is another method also to prepare this Semiya Payasam avoiding water which is in Kothiyavunu Blog. I have not tried yet, but sure sounds great!


by Nilofer Ajmal
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...